Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video How does someone break into this field?, part of Insights from a Cybersecurity Professional.
- Most people who start their…first position in cyber security…are actually transitioning from some other place…in the information technology organization.…It's not that common for someone to come…from outside of IT,…and move right into a cyber security role.…And the main reason for that…is information security really builds upon…all of the other disciplines of IT.…So, if someone comes into the role…with some background information…on at least one other discipline of IT…that's a really helpful base for…them to begin their career on.…
So, for someone who's outside of IT,…probably the best thing to do would be…just look for some position in IT that interests you.…Whether it's a help desk position,…or a network technician,…whatever it might be,…and then take on that role.…And the great thing about information security,…is that every discipline in IT involves…some sort of security responsibilities.…So, when you take that first role,…or you're in a current role…and you want to branch out into IT,…find the security aspects of that job,…
- How does one break into the cybersecurity field?
- What are the various career tracks?
- How do organizations prevent a security breach?
- What are the compliance issues?
- Who is responsible for security in the cloud?
- How does IT security impact other business divisions?
These are the kinds of insights that can help you explore a new career, focus on a course of study, or even prepare for an interview.
- Recognize the priority levels of the different types of cybersecurity risks.
- Recall three common responsibilities for cybersecurity professionals.
- Identify strategies for minimizing the impact of a security incident.
- Name three cornerstones of the information security profession.
- Explain the primary objective of cybersecurity professionals.
- Determine when it is appropriate to utilize encryption to protect information.