Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Hardening your systems, part of CompTIA Security+ (SY0-401) Cert Prep: Threats and Vulnerabilities.
- Servers are easy targets for attackers.…They sit on networks and often accept connections…from unknown users…because that's what they're designed to do.…A web server that provides public web pages…must be accessible to anyone who wishes to view…those pages.…Servers are also very complex.…They run operating systems that contain…literally millions of lines of code,…and vulnerabilities may hide anywhere…within that complexity.…Because of their easy accessibility and complexity,…servers are big, fat, juicy targets for attackers.…
System administrators engage in an activity…known as system hardening,…designed to reduce the vulnerability of servers…to attackers.…Let's talk about three techniques that system administrators…use to harden servers.…Disabling unnecessary services,…restring management interfaces,…and disabling unused accounts.…When you install an operating system for the first time,…it runs many different services out of the box.…Operating system developers are trying to make it easy…for a server to function in many different ways…
NOTE: We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. Our training prepares members to pass CompTIA certification exams and become qualified IT professionals. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Comparing viruses, worms, and Trojans
- Understanding backdoors and logic bombs
- Defending against denial of service and password attacks
- Preventing insider threats
- Detecting social engineering attacks
- Preventing wireless eavesdropping
- Understanding cross-site scripting
- Preventing SQL injection
- Deterring attacks
- Securing your network
- Scanning for and assessing threats
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 04/25/2016. What changed?
A: We updated eight movies to stay on top of the latest trends in IT security, and the latest objectives on the "Threats and Vulnerabilities" domain of the CompTIA Security+ exam.
2. Understanding Attack Types
3. Social Engineering Attacks
4. Wireless Attacks
5. Application Attacks
6. Mitigation and Deterrence
7. Discovering Threats and Vulnerabilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.