Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Firewalls, part of CompTIA Security+ (SY0-501) Cert Prep: 2 Technologies and Tools.
- [Instructor] If routers and switches are the connectivity…building blocks of a network,…firewalls are the security workhorses.…Firewalls act like the security guards of the networks…analyzing all attempts to connect to systems on the network…and determining whether those requests should be allowed…or denied according to the organization's security policy.…Firewalls often sit at the network perimeter…in between an organization's routers and the internet.…From this network location,…they can easily see all inbound and outbound connections.…
Traffic on the internal network may flow between…trusted systems unimpeded…but anything crossing the perimeter to or from the internet,…must be evaluated by the firewall.…Firewalls often connect three networks together:…the internet,…an internal network,…and a special purpose network…known as the demilitarized zone or DMZ.…The DMZ contains systems that must accept direct connections…from the outside world such as public web servers.…
The DMZ isolates those systems…because they are at higher risk of compromise.…
We are a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- IP addresses
- Routers, switches, and bridges
- VPNs and VPN concentrators
- Network intrusion detection and prevention
- Managing secure networks
- Tuning and configuring SIEMs
- Troubleshooting digital certificates
- Personnel, host, and mobile device security
- Mobile device management and tracking
- Securing common protocols
Skill Level Beginner
1. TCP/IP Suite
2. Network Security Devices
3. Managing Secure Networks
4. Wireless Networking
5. Security and Monitoring Technologies
6. Security Assessment Tools
7. Security Troubleshooting
8. Personnel Security
9. Host Security
10. Mobile Device Security
11. Securing Protocols
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.