Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Firewall rule management, part of CompTIA Security+ (SY0-401) Cert Prep: Network Security.
- Network firewalls play an important role…in an organization's overall security posture.…They protect the perimeter of the network,…blocking any traffic that is not…explicitly authorized on that network.…Firewalls keep potential attackers at bay…limiting the possibility that attackers will gain…unauthorized access to a protected network.…The basic function of a firewall is actually quite simple.…Each time someone outside the protected network…attempts a new connection into the protected network…the firewall consults a list of rules…maintained by the administrator.…
If it finds a rule that matches the description of…the attempted connection, it then follows…the action specified by that rule.…If the firewall doesn't have explicit instructions…for the situation it finds itself in, the firewall follows…the default deny principle and blocks the traffic.…For example, we might have a firewall rule base…for a simple network that contains these three rules.…Allow web traffic to a web server on port 80,…allow SMTP e-mail traffic to the e-mail server on port 25,…
We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Working with the TCP/IP suite
- Securing switches and routers
- Configuring firewalls
- Setting up virtual private networks (VPNs)
- Detecting and preventing network intrusions
- Implementing unified threat management
- Using public and private network addressing effectively
- Segmenting networks
- Virtualization and cloud computing
- Managing secure networks
Skill Level Intermediate
1. TCP/IP Suite
2. Network Security Devices
3. Designing Secure Networks
4. Cloud Computing and Virtualization
5. Managing Secure Networks
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.