Sophisticated attackers may reach down into device drivers and manipulate them in ways that undermine security. In this video, Mike Chapple explains driver refactoring and driver shimming.
- [Instructor] Sophisticated attackers may reach down…into device drivers and manipulate them…in ways that undermine security.…Let's talk about driver refactoring and driver shimming.…Device drivers play an important role in computing.…They serve as the software interface…between hardware devices and the operating system.…Device drivers are the reason that you can use almost any…printer from a wide variety of manufacturers…with Windows or any other operating system.…
Microsoft for example, doesn't need to design Windows…to work with every individual printer on the market.…Instead, they provide printer manufacturers with…the ability to write Windows drivers for their printers.…When a manufacturer builds a new printer,…they also design a device driver that provides Windows…with instructions on how to interact with the printer.…Device drivers require low level access…to the operating system and therefore…run with administrative privileges.…
If an attacker can convince a user to install…a malicious driver on their computer,…
- Comparing viruses, worms, and Trojans
- Backdoors and logic bombs
- Understanding the attacker
- Attack types: from denial of service to brute force attacks
- Preventing insider threats
- Wireless attacks
- Understanding cross-site scripting
- Preventing SQL injection
- Social engineering
- Scanning for vulnerabilities
- Penetration testing
- Assessing the impact of vulnerabilities
Skill Level Beginner
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Appropriate for all
2. Understanding Attackers
3. Understanding Attack Types
4. Wireless Attacks
5. Application Attacks
6. Social Engineering Attacks
7. Vulnerability Scanning and Penetration Testing
8. Impact of Vulnerabilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.