Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Domain name service, part of CompTIA Security+ (SY0-501) Cert Prep: 2 Technologies and Tools.
- [Instructor] Computers use IP addresses…to communicate over the network,…but those addresses are very difficult…for people to remember.…Just imagine if you had to memorize the IP address…of every single web server that you need to access…in a given day.…The domain name service, or DNS,…allows people to use easily recognizable names…in place of IP addresses.…And DNS servers translate those names.…A DNS server can translate a name…that you're more familiar with,…such as, www.lynda.com…into the IP addresses that computers use to communicate,…such as 18.104.22.168.…
DNS works as a network service…that operates over UDP port 53.…Every time you connect to a network…that network provides your computer with the IP address…of a local DNS server that it can use…to look up IP addresses.…Then, whenever you type the domain name of a website…into your browser,…your computer sends a request to the local DNS server…asking it for the IP address associated with that name.…If the server knows the answer to your question,…it simply responds to the request with the IP address…
- IP addresses
- Routers, switches, and bridges
- VPNs and VPN concentrators
- Network intrusion detection and prevention
- Managing secure networks
- Tuning and configuring SIEMs
- Troubleshooting digital certificates
- Personnel, host, and mobile device security
- Mobile device management and tracking
- Securing common protocols
Skill Level Beginner
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Appropriate for all
1. TCP/IP Suite
2. Network Security Devices
3. Managing Secure Networks
4. Wireless Networking
5. Security and Monitoring Technologies
6. Security Assessment Tools
7. Security Troubleshooting
8. Personnel Security
9. Host Security
10. Mobile Device Security
11. Securing Protocols
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.