Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Domain Name Service, part of CompTIA Security+ (SY0-401) Cert Prep: Network Security.
- [Voiceover] Computers use IP addresses…to communicate over the network.…But, those addresses are very difficult…for people to remember.…Just imagine if you had to memorize the IP address…of every single web server that you need…to access in a given day.…The domain name service, or DNS, allows people to use…easily recognizable names in place of IP addresses.…And, DNS servers translate those names.…A DNS server can translate a name that you're…more familiar with, such as www.lynda.com,…into the IP addresses that computers use to communicate.…
Such as, 220.127.116.11.…DNS works as a network service…that operates over UDP port 53.…Every time you connect to a network,…that network provides your computer with the IP address of a…local DNS server that it can use to look up IP addresses.…Then, whenever you type the domain name…of a website into your browser,…your computer sends a request to the local DNS server…asking it for the IP address associated with that name.…
If the server knows the answer to your question,…it simply responds to the request with the IP address.…
We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Working with the TCP/IP suite
- Securing switches and routers
- Configuring firewalls
- Setting up virtual private networks (VPNs)
- Detecting and preventing network intrusions
- Implementing unified threat management
- Using public and private network addressing effectively
- Segmenting networks
- Virtualization and cloud computing
- Managing secure networks
Skill Level Intermediate
1. TCP/IP Suite
2. Network Security Devices
3. Designing Secure Networks
4. Cloud Computing and Virtualization
5. Managing Secure Networks
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.