Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Discretionary access controls, part of CompTIA Security+ Exam Prep (SY0-401): Access Control and Identity Management.
- View Offline
- Discretionary access control systems offer a…flexible approach to authorization,…allowing users to assign access permissions to other users.…The owners of files, computers, and other resources…have the discretion to configure…permissions as they see fit.…Discretionary access control systems are the most…common form of access control because they…provide organizations with needed flexibility.…Imagine if users in your organization…didn't have the ability to assign file rights to…other users as needed, and IT had to…be involved in every request.…
That would certainly make life difficult, wouldn't it?…Let's look at an example of a…discretionary access control system.…Imagine that we have a file containing information on…some of the organization's employees.…Alice, an analyst within Human Resources,…created the file, and the operating system…recognizes her as the file owner.…Alice, however, created this file at Bob's request,…and she wants Bob to have permission to…do everything that Alice can do.…So Alice gives Bob full control permission over that file.…
Author Mike Chapple, an IT leader with over 15 years experience, introduces identification methods such as usernames and biometrics, as well as authentication methods to verify users, including multifactor authentication, password authentication, and single sign-on. He also discusses authorization concepts such as mandatory and discretionary access controls, which can help you restrict access to sensitive parts of your network. The course also covers best practices for ongoing account management, such as establishing a good password policy, managing user roles, and monitoring accounts, and what to do when you need to suspend or terminate access.
NOTE: We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. Our training prepares members to pass CompTIA certification exams and become qualified IT professionals. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Setting policies for usernames and access cards
- Implementing biometrics
- Combining authentication factors for multifactor authentication
- Using a Kerberos access control system
- Using access control lists such as Windows NTFS file permissions
- Role-based authorization
- Implementing account and password policies