Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Denial of service attacks, part of CompTIA Security+ (SY0-401) Cert Prep: Threats and Vulnerabilities.
- Denial of service attacks are a category of attack…that disrupts the normal use of computing resources.…The CIA triad describes the three goals…of information security professionals:…confidentiality, integrity, and availability.…Most of the attack techniques used by hackers focus…on undermining the confidentiality or integrity of data.…By far, the most common motivation of an attacker…is to steal sensitive information, such as…credit card numbers or Social Security numbers.…
Attackers might also wish to alter information…in an unauthorized fashion, such as increasing…bank account balances or defacing a website.…Some attacks, however, focus on disrupting…the legitimate use of a system.…Unlike other attacks, these target…the availability leg of the CIA triad.…We call these attacks denial of service, or DoS, attacks.…A denial of service attack is an attack that makes…a system or resource unavailable to legitimate users.…
It sends thousands, or even millions,…of requests to a server, overwhelming it and…making it to answer any legitimate requests.…
NOTE: We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. Our training prepares members to pass CompTIA certification exams and become qualified IT professionals. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Comparing viruses, worms, and Trojans
- Understanding backdoors and logic bombs
- Defending against denial of service and password attacks
- Preventing insider threats
- Detecting social engineering attacks
- Preventing wireless eavesdropping
- Understanding cross-site scripting
- Preventing SQL injection
- Deterring attacks
- Securing your network
- Scanning for and assessing threats
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 04/25/2016. What changed?
A: We updated eight movies to stay on top of the latest trends in IT security, and the latest objectives on the "Threats and Vulnerabilities" domain of the CompTIA Security+ exam.
2. Understanding Attack Types
3. Social Engineering Attacks
4. Wireless Attacks
5. Application Attacks
6. Mitigation and Deterrence
7. Discovering Threats and Vulnerabilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.