After completing this video, the learner will understand the importance of environmental controls for data centers and other physical computing environments. These include using heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems to monitor and manage temperature and humidity as well as the use of a hot aisle/cold aisle approach.
- [Voiceover] Data centers contain a wide variety…of electronic equipment that is very sensitive…to its operating environment.…One of the major risks to this equipment…comes in the form of environmental threats…if the equipment is not operated in an…appropriately controlled facility.…Data center environmental controls…seek to maintain a stable environment…that's friendly to electronic equipment.…The first environmental characteristic that…data center engineers worry about is…the air temperature.…
Electronic equipment generates a significant…amount of heat, and if a data center does not…have appropriate cooling equipment,…the facility can become extremely hot.…Excessive heat can dramatically reduce…the expected life of servers, and other electronic…equipment, so data center facility managers…invest heavily in maintaining a temperature…friendly to that equipment.…This investment requires massive cooling systems,…such as the one shown here on a data center roof.…
Conventional wisdom about data center temperatures…has changed over time.…
- Implementing security controls and policies
- Performing a risk assessment
- Understanding the five risk management actions
- Managing third-party relationships (vendors, etc.)
- Mitigating risk with change management, audits and assessments, and more
- Building an incident response program
- Understanding digital forensics
- Providing security and compliance training
- Ensuring physical security
- Planning for business continuity and disaster recovery
- Matching controls to security goals
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Controls and Risks
2. Third-Party Relationships
Vendor agreements3m 34s
3. Risk Mitigation Strategies
4. Incident Response
6. Awareness and Training
7. Physical Security and Environmental Controls
8. Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery
9. Matching Controls to Security Goals
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.