Each type of malware has two defining characteristics: a propagation mechanism that determines how it spreads from system to system, and a payload that delivers malicious content to the infected system. In this video, Mike Chapple explains the types, consequences, and prevention methods for adware, spyware, and ransomware.
- [Instructor] As we talked about in the last video,…each type of malware has two defining characteristics,…a propagation mechanism, that determines…how it spreads from system to system,…and a payload that delivers malicious content…to infected systems.…We spoke about propagation techniques in the last video,…now let's take a look at…three different types of malware payloads,…adware, spyware, and ransomware.…We'll begin with adware.…Advertising is a very common source…of revenue generation online,…just as it is on television, in newspapers,…and in other media.…
Normally, online advertising is quite legitimate.…It's a way for people who provide content…to generate revenue from that content.…But where there's an opportunity to make money,…there's also an opportunity for malware.…Adware is malware that has the specific purpose…of displaying advertisements,…but instead of generating revenue for the content owner,…adware generates revenue for the malware author.…Adware varies based upon the type of mechanism…that it uses to display ads to the user.…
- Comparing viruses, worms, and Trojans
- Backdoors and logic bombs
- Understanding the attacker
- Attack types: from denial of service to brute force attacks
- Preventing insider threats
- Wireless attacks
- Understanding cross-site scripting
- Preventing SQL injection
- Social engineering
- Scanning for vulnerabilities
- Penetration testing
- Assessing the impact of vulnerabilities
Skill Level Beginner
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Appropriate for all
2. Understanding Attackers
3. Understanding Attack Types
4. Wireless Attacks
5. Application Attacks
6. Social Engineering Attacks
7. Vulnerability Scanning and Penetration Testing
8. Impact of Vulnerabilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.