Code execution attacks are a special class of attacks where the attacker exploits a vulnerability in a system that allows the attacker to run commands on that system. In this video, learn how attackers execute code on a target system through the use of arbitrary code execution and remote code execution attacks.
- [Instructor] Code execution attacks…are a special class of attacks…where the attacker exploits a vulnerability in a system…that allows the attacker to run commands on that system.…There are many different ways that an attacker…might gain this foothold on a system,…but it's normally through some resource…that the target system exposes to the world.…For example, a public-facing web server…must expose ports 80 and or 443 to the world…and that port provides access to a web server…such as Apache or Microsoft Internet Information Server.…
If an attacker learns of a code execution vulnerability…in that web server software,…the attacker may exploit the vulnerability…on an unpatched server…and use it to execute whatever commands…the attacker desires on that system.…This condition where an attacker runs commands…of his or her choice is known as arbitrary code execution.…When the attack takes place from a remote system,…it is also known as remote code execution.…
Attackers using code execution vulnerabilities…may perform any action they desire on the targeted system.…
- Comparing viruses, worms, and Trojans
- Backdoors and logic bombs
- Understanding the attacker
- Attack types: from denial of service to brute force attacks
- Preventing insider threats
- Wireless attacks
- Understanding cross-site scripting
- Preventing SQL injection
- Social engineering
- Scanning for vulnerabilities
- Penetration testing
- Assessing the impact of vulnerabilities
Skill Level Beginner
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Appropriate for all
2. Understanding Attackers
3. Understanding Attack Types
4. Wireless Attacks
5. Application Attacks
6. Social Engineering Attacks
7. Vulnerability Scanning and Penetration Testing
8. Impact of Vulnerabilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.