Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Code execution attacks, part of CompTIA Security+ (SY0-401) Cert Prep: Threats and Vulnerabilities.
- [Voiceover] Code execution attacks…are a special class of attacks…where the attacker exploits…a vulnerability in a system…that allows the attacker to run commands…on that system.…There are many different ways…that an attacker might gain this foothold…on a system, but it's normally…through some resource…that the target system exposes to the world.…For example, a public-facing web server…must expose ports 80 and/or 443 to the world,…and that port provides access to a web server…such as Apache or Microsoft Internet…Information Server.…
If an attacker learns of a code execution vulnerability…in that web server software,…the attacker may exploit the vulnerability…on an unpatched server…and use it to execute whatever commands…the attacker desires on that system.…This condition, where an attacker runs commands…of his or her choice, is known…as arbitrary code execution.…When the attack takes place…from a remote system, it is also known…as remote code execution.…Attackers using code execution vulnerabilities…may perform any action they desire…
NOTE: We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. Our training prepares members to pass CompTIA certification exams and become qualified IT professionals. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Comparing viruses, worms, and Trojans
- Understanding backdoors and logic bombs
- Defending against denial of service and password attacks
- Preventing insider threats
- Detecting social engineering attacks
- Preventing wireless eavesdropping
- Understanding cross-site scripting
- Preventing SQL injection
- Deterring attacks
- Securing your network
- Scanning for and assessing threats
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 04/25/2016. What changed?
A: We updated eight movies to stay on top of the latest trends in IT security, and the latest objectives on the "Threats and Vulnerabilities" domain of the CompTIA Security+ exam.
2. Understanding Attack Types
3. Social Engineering Attacks
4. Wireless Attacks
5. Application Attacks
6. Mitigation and Deterrence
7. Discovering Threats and Vulnerabilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.