After completing this video, the learner will understand how to choose encryption algorithms, including the use of proven technology, key length, and the tradeoff between cipher strength and performance.
- [Voiceover] There are many different encryption algorithms…that you can choose from when trying to achieve…one of the four goals of cryptography.…Let's talk about some of the things you should watch for…when selecting an encryption algorithm.…It's important to remember that encryption…is very complicated.…It uses sophisticated mathematical techniques…and even the smallest flaw can render an algorithm insecure.…For this reason you should never try…to build your own encryption algorithm unless you…really, really know what you're doing.…
You wouldn't try to perform heart surgery on yourself,…so don't try to build your own encryption either.…Similarly, if a vendor claims that their software…is secured with a proprietary encryption algorithm…and they won't share the details,…view that claim with a skepticism it deserves.…It's a big red flag.…For the same reason, you should choose…an encryption algorithm that is proven.…The details of encryption algorithms are normally published…and open for inspection by the security community.…
This course is part of a six-course series on the CompTIA Security+ exam, and is useful for IT professionals who wish to learn more about information security as well as students preparing to take the Security+ exam.
We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Choosing encryption algorithms
- Applying symmetric and asymmetric cryptography standards
- Implementing key management, including key exchange and key stretching
- Working with public keys, trust models, and digital certificates
- Using transport encryption protocols
- Securing wireless networks
Skill Level Intermediate
2. Symmetric Cryptography
3. Asymmetric Cryptography
4. Key Management
5. Public Key Infrastructure
6. Transport Encryption
7. Wireless Security
Next steps1m 5s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.