Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Basic wireless security, part of CompTIA Security+ (SY0-501) Cert Prep: 2 Technologies and Tools.
- [Instructor] Before we dive into the ways…that you can use wireless encryption…to protect the confidentiality of wireless networks,…let's spend a moment talking about some of the basic ways…that network administrators and users…can secure wireless networks.…First, wireless networks typically advertise themselves…in order to make users aware…that they are running in an area.…Wireless networks do this by broadcasting an identifier…known as the Service Set Identifier or SSID.…This is simply a short name…used to identify the wireless network…and you probably know it as just the wireless network name.…
If we take a quick look at the wireless networks…available in my neighborhood,…I'm just going to pull down…this network name dropdown menu here…and you can see all of these different networks…are visible to me.…These are networks running in other buildings in this area…and each one of them is broadcasting its SSID.…For example, ABW is the SSID of this network.…Home 1C32 is the SSID of this network.…There's no requirement that you broadcast your SSID.…
- IP addresses
- Routers, switches, and bridges
- VPNs and VPN concentrators
- Network intrusion detection and prevention
- Managing secure networks
- Tuning and configuring SIEMs
- Troubleshooting digital certificates
- Personnel, host, and mobile device security
- Mobile device management and tracking
- Securing common protocols
Skill Level Beginner
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Appropriate for all
1. TCP/IP Suite
2. Network Security Devices
3. Managing Secure Networks
4. Wireless Networking
5. Security and Monitoring Technologies
6. Security Assessment Tools
7. Security Troubleshooting
8. Personnel Security
9. Host Security
10. Mobile Device Security
11. Securing Protocols
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.