After completing this video, the learner will understand basic wireless security techniques including limiting the use of SSID broadcasting, the use of MAC filtering and using VPNs to secure wireless connections.
- [Voiceover] Before we dive into the ways…that you can use wireless encryption…to protect the confidentiality of wireless networks,…let's spend a moment talking about some of the basic ways…that network administrators and users…can secure wireless networks.…First, wireless networks typically advertise themselves…in order to make users aware…that they're running in an area.…Wireless networks do this by broadcasting an identifier…known as the Service Set Identifier, or SSID.…This is simply a short name…used to identify the wireless network…and you probably know it as just the wireless network name.…
If we take a quick look at the wireless networks…available in my neighborhood, I'm just going…to pull down this Network Name drop-down menu here,…and you can see all of these different networks…are visible to me.…These are networks running in other buildings in this area…and each one of them is broadcasting its SSID.…For example, ABW is the SSID of this network.…HOME-1C32 is the SSID of this network.…There is no requirement that you broadcast your SSID.…
This course is part of a six-course series on the CompTIA Security+ exam, and is useful for IT professionals who wish to learn more about information security as well as students preparing to take the Security+ exam.
We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Choosing encryption algorithms
- Applying symmetric and asymmetric cryptography standards
- Implementing key management, including key exchange and key stretching
- Working with public keys, trust models, and digital certificates
- Using transport encryption protocols
- Securing wireless networks
Skill Level Intermediate
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
2. Symmetric Cryptography
3. Asymmetric Cryptography
4. Key Management
5. Public Key Infrastructure
6. Transport Encryption
7. Wireless Security
Next steps1m 5s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.