Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Assessing threats, part of CompTIA Security+ (SY0-401) Cert Prep: Threats and Vulnerabilities.
- Information security professionals tackle a wide variety…of risks in their roles.…These vary from earthquakes and tornadoes…to hackers and viruses.…The sheer quantity of forces aligned against you…may sometimes be a little overwhelming.…Fortunately, we have risk-assessment tools…at our disposal that can help us prioritize our response.…First, we need a common language.…In everyday life, people often use the terms…"threat," "vulnerability," and "risk" interchangeably.…
They are actually three different concepts.…A Threat is some External force…that jeopardizes the security…of your information and systems.…Threats might be naturally occurring,…such as hurricanes and wildfires,…or man-made, such as hacking and terrorism.…You can't normally control what threats…are out there.…They exist independently.…Vulnerabilities are weaknesses in your security controls,…that a threat might exploit…to undermine the confidentiality, integrity…or availability of your information or systems.…
These might include missing patches,…promiscuous firewall rules,…
NOTE: We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. Our training prepares members to pass CompTIA certification exams and become qualified IT professionals. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Comparing viruses, worms, and Trojans
- Understanding backdoors and logic bombs
- Defending against denial of service and password attacks
- Preventing insider threats
- Detecting social engineering attacks
- Preventing wireless eavesdropping
- Understanding cross-site scripting
- Preventing SQL injection
- Deterring attacks
- Securing your network
- Scanning for and assessing threats
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 04/25/2016. What changed?
A: We updated eight movies to stay on top of the latest trends in IT security, and the latest objectives on the "Threats and Vulnerabilities" domain of the CompTIA Security+ exam.
2. Understanding Attack Types
3. Social Engineering Attacks
4. Wireless Attacks
5. Application Attacks
6. Mitigation and Deterrence
7. Discovering Threats and Vulnerabilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.