The Scrivener name generator can help novelists and other writers brainstorm character names. Laura Bergells shows you how to use the Scrivener name generator to create a list of suggestions to consider.
- [Narrator] When you're writing a novel,…coming up with character names can sometimes be challenging.…Let's have some fun playing with Scrivener's…name generator to help you brainstorm character names.…I'll click on "Edit", and then near the bottom,…"Writing Tools", and I'll click "Name Generator".…Let's say I have a character who is a meteorologist…of Polish ancestry who lives in Chicago.…I am stuck on what to name him,…so I am going to noodle with the name generator.…
I know my meteorologist is a man,…so I am going to select "Male".…Everyone likes alliterative names,…so I will select that option.…I'll avoid double-barreled surnames,…or what we call hyphenated names here in the US.…I'll skip initials, and I'll leave forename…and surname blank so Scrivener…comes up with both names for me.…I'll also set my obscurity level as "Low",…so I get a more common name.…
Next, I going to scroll through my naming options down here,…and I know my character was born in Chicago…to Polish immigrants who want him to assimilate,…
- Navigating the interface
- Creating a new project
- Merging documents
- Keeping track of characters and locations
- Exploring writing tools
- Managing footnotes, comments, and annotations
- Reviewing project and text statistics
- Exporting files
- Compiling as an ebook using presets
- Tips for sharing your work
Skill Level Beginner
Word 2013: Creating Long Documentswith Maria Langer3h 19m Intermediate
InDesign: Creating Long Documentswith Mike Rankin4h 30m Intermediate
MadCap Flare 12 Essential Trainingwith Neil Perlin3h 37m Beginner
1. Navigate Scrivener
2. Plan a New Project
3. Research Your Project
4. Write Your Project
5. Review and Edit Your Project
6. Share Your Work
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.