What good is the Scrivener Outliner view? How is the Outliner different from the binder? Laura Bergells shows you how she uses the Scrivener Outliner to view details, pitch nonfiction publishers, and manage projects.
- [Instructor] Let me tell you what I said…when I first saw Outliner mode.…I said, "Hey, what do I need Outliner for…"when I have the binder? Isn't the binder an outline?"…Well, the answer is the Outliner can reveal…far more useful details than the binder.…Let's see how this works in action.…First, I'm going to select a folder in my binder,…not a document, but a folder.…I'll select Assembling a Core Crisis Team.…Next, I'll make sure that Outliner mode is selected.…
Now that a look at the differences in the binder…and in the Outliner.…While the binder reveals a simple outline,…the Outliner reveals far more detail.…Hmm, but how do we get to view those extra details?…For me, the easiest way is to click the right chevron…at the end of the Outliner row.…In here, you can see all of the metadata fields…for this project.…I can choose to see as many or as few as I wish.…
You see the areas appear or disappear in the columns…in this table.…I can also update some of the metavalues…while I'm in Outliner.…For example, I can adjust status updates.…
- Navigating the interface
- Creating a new project
- Merging documents
- Keeping track of characters and locations
- Exploring writing tools
- Managing footnotes, comments, and annotations
- Reviewing project and text statistics
- Exporting files
- Compiling as an ebook using presets
- Tips for sharing your work
Skill Level Beginner
MadCap Flare 12 Essential Trainingwith Neil Perlin3h 37m Beginner
Word 2013: Creating Long Documentswith Maria Langer3h 19m Appropriate for all
InDesign: Creating Long Documentswith Mike Rankin4h 23m Intermediate
1. Navigate Scrivener
2. Plan a New Project
3. Research Your Project
4. Write Your Project
5. Review and Edit Your Project
6. Share Your Work
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.