Get your copy of ScreenFlow installed and make a quick test recording to ensure that everything on your system is ready to record your first screencast.
- [Instructor] Now to get up and running with ScreenFlow, you'll need to first install it. Now if you prefer to buy your apps directly from the Mac App Store, then open up the App Store, go up to the search option in the upper right and just type in ScreenFlow, it's all one word. Then install it like you would any other app. Now the other way is to go directly to telestream.net and then in your browser, click on the products menu and you should find a section for Desktop Applications and look for ScreenFlow. Here, there's a Try link where you can download a free 30-day trial, a Buy link to buy your own license or an Upgrade link if you own a previous version and then you just need to upgrade.
Now each of these links has a simple form for you to fill out as you're checking out. Now if you do purchase a license online, then be sure to check your email for the license code that will be sent to you. Now if you've already purchased a license from Telestream's web store and you need to re-download the installer again, then just go up to the support menu and under desktop applications for ScreenFlow, select the download link. You'll then need to sign-in with the account information that you created when you purchased your license. And then follow the on-screen instructions to download a new copy of the version you have a license for.
Install the app like you would any other app on your Mac. Now I've already installed it on my system. And I've added an icon to my dock for it. For easy access. Let's open the app to check that everything installed properly. Now if you purchased the license directly from Telestream, then you'll need to register it. So you do that by going up to the ScreenFlow menu and selecting preferences. Then click on the licenses tab and enter your serial number information here. I'll close that window. Okay, let's run a quick test to see how things are working.
On the welcome window, click on the new recordings option on the left and then make sure the option for record desktop is checked. And you don't need to worry about any of the other options here. Then click the red record button at the bottom. Now you should get a quick countdown timer and then recording should begin automatically. Move your mouse around just a little bit or move any windows that you may have open just so you can see that there's some movement on screen. Then click the camera icon in your main toolbar and select stop recording.
You may get a window that opens up asking you if you'd like to save the document. If so, click okay. ScreenFlow should then automatically open the recording in the editor and if you drag this red playhead along the timeline, you should see your mouse move and then you should see the dropdown menu appear. Okay, it looks like you're ready to go. In the next movie, we'll take a more detailed look at the ScreenFlow user interface.
- Working with the ScreenFlow 8 user interface
- Customizing keyboard shortcuts
- Creating recordings
- Recording an iOS device
- Video and audio editing basics
- Harnessing the power of styles
- Creating animations
- Adding motion to clips
- Creating text and mobile touch annotations
- Exporting and sharing your movies