WiringPi is an alternative to RPI.GPIO for identification of the Raspberry Pi GPIO pins, but requires installation. In this video, Mark Niemann-Ross steps through the installation process, using commands for GIT installation. Commands to confirm a successful installation are demonstrated, and then the Python wrapper installation process is demonstrated.
- [Voiceover] Installing WiringPi involves several steps…and is done from the Raspberry Pi terminal window.…To open the terminal, go to Menu,…Accessories, Terminal.…To install WiringPi,…we'll need to use GIT.…To install GIT, I'll use…"sudo apt-get…"install git-core".…
Depending on your network connection,…this may take a bit of time.…If you get any errors here,…make sure your Pi is up to date…with the latest versions of Raspbian.…To update Raspbian, type in…"sudo apt-get update",…and then type…"sudo apt-get upgrade".…Once the upgrade is finished,…I can now download WiringPi.…
The first thing I'm going to do…is clear the screen with Control L.…To obtain WiringPi using GIT,…I'll use the command "git clone"…followed by…"git://git.drogon.net/wiringPi".…Notice that "wiringPi" is spelled w-i-r-i-n-g, capital P, i.…Now, to build and install, there is a new simplified script.…
I'll change directory to the WiringPi directory:…"cd wiringPi",…then I'll type in "./build".…This runs a script that will install WiringPi.…This may take a moment for it to complete the compile run,…
- Locating the GPIO
- Programming with Python and Scratch
- Working with breadboards, jumpers, and components
- Building a simple GPIO project
- Identifying GPIO pins
- Using the WiringPi and RPi.GPIO libraries
- Accepting input
- Controlling output
- Using specialty pins: UART and I2C
Skill Level Intermediate
2. Breadboards, Jumpers, and Electronic Components
3. Basic Project
4. Identifying GPIO Pins
5. WiringPi Library
Use WiringPi with Python4m 20s
8. Specialty Pins
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.