Most RESTful web services and APIs do not exist in isolation but have to call other external RESTful web services and APIs.
- [Narrator] Hi, and welcome…to the last section of the course.…In the previous section, we have talked about…caching support in the Spray framework.…This section is going to be a final destination…of our journey into the universe of web development…using Scala and Spray framework.…In this section, we're going to switch our gears a bit…and jump off from service-side development…to client-side development.…We will learn about yet another great member…of Spray Framework Portfolio,…Spray Client module, and discuss how it is using…Spray Can HTTP client APIs.…
Now we are ready to move onto…the first video of this section,…where we are going to get introduced…to the Spray Client module,…and the basics of creating web service clients.…In this video, we're going to take a look…at some of the most popular libraries used these days,…which provide client-side APIs for accessible, REST(ful)…web services and discuss Spray Client module…as one of the appealing alternatives,…particularly for the applications built on top…of Spray framework.…
Embark on an exciting journey into the universe of web development using the Scala programming language and frameworks—natural choices for back-end developers building highly scalable, reliable, and reactive RESTful web services and APIs. This training is the starting point for mastering the nonblocking and asynchronous programming models that lie in the heart of the Spray framework. It starts with an introduction to the REST architecture. Then switch gears to the Akka toolkit and framework, building a sample book catalog application along the way.
Once you've learned about the REST architectural style and Actor model—the foundations that the Spray framework is built upon—you'll shape out your own RESTful web services by providing simple route definitions. Further on in the course, author Andriy Redko delves into authentication and authorization, secure transport, documentation, testing, and caching support. Finally, you will learn how to develop the Spray client API to call external web services.
- The Actor model and Akka framework
- RESTful architecture principles and constraints
- Building RESTful services
- Core Spray framework modules such as spray-can, spray-routing, spray-json, spray-caching, and spray-client
- Securing RESTful web services and APIs with Spray
- Configuring Spray applications with HTTPS support
- Documenting Spray RESTful web services using Swagger
- Caching basics
- Calling external RESTful services