Delivering high-quality software (including web services and APIs) should be a primary goal of any software developer. Test-driven development practices aim to raise the bar of the quality by writing the test suites along with the main code.
- [Voiceover] Welcome to section six of the course.…In the previous section,…we did a good job by learning how to…document our RESTful web services and APIs.…In this section,…we're going to talk about tests which help to…ensure that our RESTful web services and APIs…do exactly what they're supposed to do.…In this section, we will briefly discuss…the state of art of the modern software testing.…Right after that, jumping into how to…create test suites for Spray web services and APIs.…
At the end of this section,…we're going to have a comprehensive test suite…and test cases created for every web API endpoint of…our book catalog application.…Now, we move on to the first video of this section,…that introduces us to another Spray module,…Spray TestKit,…which is dedicated to dramatically simplifying…testing web services and APIs,…particularly developing using Spray routing.…
In this video, we're going to take a look at…modern software testing, focusing on what…Spray framework has to offer in this regard.…As such, we're going to talk about Spray TestKit,…
Embark on an exciting journey into the universe of web development using the Scala programming language and frameworks—natural choices for back-end developers building highly scalable, reliable, and reactive RESTful web services and APIs. This training is the starting point for mastering the nonblocking and asynchronous programming models that lie in the heart of the Spray framework. It starts with an introduction to the REST architecture. Then switch gears to the Akka toolkit and framework, building a sample book catalog application along the way.
Once you've learned about the REST architectural style and Actor model—the foundations that the Spray framework is built upon—you'll shape out your own RESTful web services by providing simple route definitions. Further on in the course, author Andriy Redko delves into authentication and authorization, secure transport, documentation, testing, and caching support. Finally, you will learn how to develop the Spray client API to call external web services.
- The Actor model and Akka framework
- RESTful architecture principles and constraints
- Building RESTful services
- Core Spray framework modules such as spray-can, spray-routing, spray-json, spray-caching, and spray-client
- Securing RESTful web services and APIs with Spray
- Configuring Spray applications with HTTPS support
- Documenting Spray RESTful web services using Swagger
- Caching basics
- Calling external RESTful services