Learn how to solve the problem of creating a worksheet in the Scala IDE to add two math functions, add and subtract along with the necessary code to return the result. In this video, go though process and review one possilbe solution
- [Instructor] Welcome back.…How did you make out with that first challenge?…I hope you had fun.…What I'd like to do is walk through one possible solution.…Everybody programs a little differently,…so this might not look exactly like yours.…But first, we're going to start…by creating a new Scala project.…File, New, Scala Project,…and I'm just going to call it WorksheetChallenge,…and I'll click Finish.…Now, inside the WorksheetChallenge, I want to add a worksheet…to my SRC package.…Scala Worksheet,…and we can call it addsubtract.…
Alright, when we first open up our file,…the only thing in our object is the print line statement.…First, I'm going to minimize my Package Explorer…so we can see more of the screen.…There we go.…The challenge was to create two functions,…and then to call those two functions with values.…So let's start by adding our functions.…Do you remember how you add a new function?…You want to use the keyword def to define your function.…In one case, we want to call one add,…and then we want to give it two values.…
Join Peggy Fisher as she helps get you started with Scala, so you can leverage the unique capabilities it offers. First, learn the basics of type inference, variables, loops, functions, and operators. Then, find out how to read files using a console, perform pattern matching, handle exceptions, and more. Finally, learn how to use classes, fields, methods, and objects.
- Integrating with IDEs
- Scala worksheets
- Scala repl sessions
- Type inference
- Creating variables
- Working with loops
- Higher-order functions
- Scala operators
- Working with decision statements
- Handling exceptions using try or catch
- Working with tuples and arrays
- Classes, fields, and methods
Skill Level Intermediate
Java Platforms Compared: SE vs EE vs MEwith Peggy Fisher25m 38s Intermediate
Scala Essential Training for Data Sciencewith Dan Sullivan1h 51m Intermediate
1. Getting Started with Scala
2. Scala Basics
3. More Scala Basics
4. Objects with Scala
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.