This video covers the various operators used in Scala. Most of the operators overlap with other programming languages but since Scala is also a pure object oriented language, each operator can be redefined by overriding the operator function.
- [Instructor] Scala Operators.…Scala has arithmetic, relational, logical,…bitwise, and assignment operators.…A really nice thing about Scala…is it uses the same arithmetic operators…that you see in most programming languages,…a plus sign for addition,…a dash or a minus for subtraction,…an asterisk for multiplication,…a forward slash for division,…and a percent sign for remainder.…Relational operators include ==,…we can test if something is equal to something else.…
We might want to test if it's not equal,…so an != is not equal.…Greater than, less than,…greater than or equal to, and less than or equal to.…Now be careful, there's no spaces…when you have more than one symbol there.…Logical operators include two ampersands,…which represents and,…two pipes, which represents or,…and an exclamation point which means not.…Another feature of Scala is that it enables us…to perform operations on individual bits of integers.…
In order to do that, we use bitwise operators.…Here we have the &,…the single ampersand for and,…a single pipe for or,…
Join Peggy Fisher as she helps get you started with Scala, so you can leverage the unique capabilities it offers. First, learn the basics of type inference, variables, loops, functions, and operators. Then, find out how to read files using a console, perform pattern matching, handle exceptions, and more. Finally, learn how to use classes, fields, methods, and objects.
- Integrating with IDEs
- Scala worksheets
- Scala repl sessions
- Type inference
- Creating variables
- Working with loops
- Higher-order functions
- Scala operators
- Working with decision statements
- Handling exceptions using try or catch
- Working with tuples and arrays
- Classes, fields, and methods
Skill Level Intermediate
Java Platforms Compared: SE vs EE vs MEwith Peggy Fisher25m 38s Intermediate
Scala Essential Training for Data Sciencewith Dan Sullivan1h 51m Intermediate
1. Getting Started with Scala
2. Scala Basics
3. More Scala Basics
4. Objects with Scala
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.