Learn how to install Scala on your machine. This video covers the steps necessary to download and install Scala on a Windows machine. There is also a separate document for installing Scala on a macOS.
- [Instructor] I'd like to review how to install Scala.…Now that we're ready to start coding in Scala,…first we must think about whether we're going to code…our programs using a console based approach,…or if we prefer to use an IDE.…An IDE stand for integrated development environment.…The longer I work in the world of programming,…I always find it interesting to see the strong…divide among programmers between these two options.…Some programmers can be given a basic text editor…and a command line,…and that's all they need or want.…Others prefer the bells and whistles of an IDE.…
Both ways are equally effective and each one…has its own different advantages and disadvantages.…But no matter which one you choose,…the first thing we have to do…is to check to make sure we have Java…installed on our machine.…The reason that we need to have Java…is because Scala runs on the JVM,…the Java virtual machine.…So in order to check that,…from a command prompt we type Java space dash version.…As you can see in my window here,…I did that one my machine and took a screen shot,…
Join Peggy Fisher as she helps get you started with Scala, so you can leverage the unique capabilities it offers. First, learn the basics of type inference, variables, loops, functions, and operators. Then, find out how to read files using a console, perform pattern matching, handle exceptions, and more. Finally, learn how to use classes, fields, methods, and objects.
- Integrating with IDEs
- Scala worksheets
- Scala repl sessions
- Type inference
- Creating variables
- Working with loops
- Higher-order functions
- Scala operators
- Working with decision statements
- Handling exceptions using try or catch
- Working with tuples and arrays
- Classes, fields, and methods
Skill Level Intermediate
Java Platforms Compared: SE vs EE vs MEwith Peggy Fisher25m 38s Intermediate
Scala Essential Training for Data Sciencewith Dan Sullivan1h 51m Intermediate
1. Getting Started with Scala
2. Scala Basics
3. More Scala Basics
4. Objects with Scala
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.