Learn how to name variables, correctly write code using Scala syntax when declaring variables, and explore sample programs that use variables. Understand how to assign data types to variables in Scala
- [Lecturer] Defining Scala variables.…Variables are named memory locations…that are used to store values.…When you declare a variable memory is reserved…to hold the value of this variable.…Depending on the variable data type,…whether it's an integer or a string,…the compiler decides the amount of memory…to allocate for each value.…For example, if you declare a variable…that's going to hold a value that's a byte…it's a lot smaller than a variable…that has the value of an integer.…Variables are defined with two keywords, either val of var.…
A variable, defined with the keyword val,…stands for a constant value and cannot be changed.…If you use the keyword var, that means that variable…can change the data that it holds later on in your program.…A variable can be declared with or without a data type.…The compiler will infer the data type if it is omitted.…If you omit the data type you must initialize…that value when you declare it.…The syntax for declaring a variable is the keyword val…or var, depending on how you want to use that variable,…
Join Peggy Fisher as she helps get you started with Scala, so you can leverage the unique capabilities it offers. First, learn the basics of type inference, variables, loops, functions, and operators. Then, find out how to read files using a console, perform pattern matching, handle exceptions, and more. Finally, learn how to use classes, fields, methods, and objects.
- Integrating with IDEs
- Scala worksheets
- Scala repl sessions
- Type inference
- Creating variables
- Working with loops
- Higher-order functions
- Scala operators
- Working with decision statements
- Handling exceptions using try or catch
- Working with tuples and arrays
- Classes, fields, and methods
Skill Level Intermediate
Java Platforms Compared: SE vs EE vs MEwith Peggy Fisher25m 38s Intermediate
Scala Essential Training for Data Sciencewith Dan Sullivan1h 51m Intermediate
1. Getting Started with Scala
2. Scala Basics
3. More Scala Basics
4. Objects with Scala
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.