Understand how to connect to a PostgreSQL database from Scala.
- [Instructor] Now we'll start Scala…and we'll use JDBC to connect to our database.…So, we'll specify scala to start the REPL…but this time we're going to to something…a little different.…We're going to include a classpath option…and I'm going to specify the directory…where I downloaded my JDBC driver…and for me I downloaded it to this directory.…Now, your classpath may be different…depending on where you downloaded the JDBC driver…and be sure to include the name of the jar file…in the classpath.…
First thing I want to do is import a couple of classes…that will allow us to work with SQL…from within Scala.…So, we'll import java.sql. DriverManager…and I'm just hitting tab here…to show you the different things that we have…available to us.…DriverManager and I also want to import…java.sql.Connection.…So, now we have our two packages installed,…so I'm just going to clear the screen…and now I want to define a couple of strings…that we'll use when we connect to the database.…
The first I'll call driver…and that's simply the name of the class…
Dan also focuses on using Scala with Spark, a distributed processing platform. He first describes how to work with Resilient Distributed Datasets (RDDs)—a fundamental Spark data structure—and then explains how to use Scala with Spark DataFrames, a new class of data structure specially designed for analytic processing. He wraps up the course by providing a summary of advantages of using Scala for data science.
- The advantages of Scala for data science
- Scala data types
- Scala arrays, vectors, and ranges
- Parallel processing in Scala
- Mapping functions over parallel collections
- When and when not to use parallel collections
- Using SQL in Scala
- Scala and Spark RDDs
- Scala and Spark DataFrames
- Creating DataFrames
Skill Level Intermediate
Java for Data Scientists Essential Trainingwith Charles Kelly2h 43m Intermediate
1. Introduction to Scala
2. Parallel Processing in Scala
3. Using SQL in Scala
4. Scala and Spark RDDs
5. Scala and Spark DataFrames
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.