Unfortunately, security flaws leading to unauthorized access to massive volumes of private and confidential data are not as rare as we would like them to be. That is why these days built-in security mechanisms are first-class features of the modern RESTful web services and APIs.
- View Offline
- In the previous section, we dug into…Spray framework, and started to build…our book catalog application.…In this section, we will talk about…security in the context of REST(ful)…web services and APIs.…Security in general constitutes of many processes…and procedures, however, arguably…the most important ones are authentication…and authorization, more to that, whenever implementation…of security workflows involves a network communication…with external systems, like in the case…of REST(ful) web services and APIs,…secure transport layer becomes a critical piece…of the puzzle.…
In this section, we're going to discuss…what is authentication and authorization,…and finish up by looking at secure version…of HTTP protocol, HTTPS.…Now we are moving on to the first video…of this section that is going to serve…as an introduction to the authentication…basics and its support in Spray framework.…In this video, we're going to take…a look at the core meaning of authentication…and what kind of support Spray framework…provides for it, in particular,…
Embark on an exciting journey into the universe of web development using the Scala programming language and frameworks—natural choices for back-end developers building highly scalable, reliable, and reactive RESTful web services and APIs. This training is the starting point for mastering the nonblocking and asynchronous programming models that lie in the heart of the Spray framework. It starts with an introduction to the REST architecture. Then switch gears to the Akka toolkit and framework, building a sample book catalog application along the way.
Once you've learned about the REST architectural style and Actor model—the foundations that the Spray framework is built upon—you'll shape out your own RESTful web services by providing simple route definitions. Further on in the course, author Andriy Redko delves into authentication and authorization, secure transport, documentation, testing, and caching support. Finally, you will learn how to develop the Spray client API to call external web services.
- The Actor model and Akka framework
- RESTful architecture principles and constraints
- Building RESTful services
- Core Spray framework modules such as spray-can, spray-routing, spray-json, spray-caching, and spray-client
- Securing RESTful web services and APIs with Spray
- Configuring Spray applications with HTTPS support
- Documenting Spray RESTful web services using Swagger
- Caching basics
- Calling external RESTful services