Christopher demonstrates how to use the favorite feature within Quip and to organize favorites on the left-hand sidebar. This includes prioritizing favorites, as well as removing them from the favorites list.
- [Christopher] A productive workflow feature in Quip is the ability to favorite items. We can favorite documents, spreadsheets, folders, and even chat rooms. When you put a start next to your favorite Quip items, they'll appear on the left-hand sidebar. Let's go ahead and see how this works. Quip makes it easy to navigate to your most critical work and helps bring focus to things that you want to keep an eye one. First of all, let's open up a document. I have it stored in my private folder. So, I'll go to my private folder and click on it. Let's go to the sub-folder called Perks and Parties.
In here I have a document for organizing Aliyah's going away party. Let's open that. There's a couple of ways to go ahead and favorite this. One is, we can use the document menu and just add to favorites, and the other is, quickly we can just check the star right here to add it to favorites. This document is now Favorited. You can see it show up in the favorites section on the left-hand sidebar, and we can access the sidebar using this icon right here on the left-hand side. The sidebar opens, and we can now see it on the list of favorites.
We can also favorite folders. Let's go ahead and click on our folder section. That's the folders menu. We'll favorite the administration folder. I'll first need to open the folder. I'll pull down the folder's menu, and then I'll add it to Favorites right here. You'll see it appears in the favorites section. We can even favorite chat rooms. Let me show you how to do that. First of all, I need to find the chat room. I'll search for it. I'll go ahead and type in the name of the chat room. I'll start typing the name, and it'll auto-complete for me.
I see the result right here. This is the chat room I want to favorite. All I need to do is pull down the chat rooms menu, and then add it to favorites. You'll see it show up on the left-hand side under Favorites. What's really cool feature about favorites is that you can prioritize them as well. Just drag and drop them in the sequence that you want them to appear on the sidebar. We can move things up and down. I can go ahead and move this up, and I can move this down. I can put things where they really need to be prioritized. Any Favorited item that has been changed will show a numeric indicator and a bubble to the right-hand side of the entry on your favorites list, just like you see on the screen.
This helps keep focus on what's different. This is extremely powerful and is one of the ways that Quip eradicates emails for teams. When you see the document has been edited, you can jump right in and go ahead and make a contribution, or you can see what changes have been made. Removing anything from your favorites is easy. All you have to do is hover over the entry, and you'll see a star show up. What you do is uncheck that star, and that favorite comes off the list. Teams move so much faster when information is transparent and frictionless.
With Quip everything is at your fingertips, and you can star your favorite items, and focus on what matters to you.
- What is Quip?
- Setting up a new Quip account
- Producing living documents
- Using Quip to reduce emails and meetings
- Using keyboard shortcuts
- Using Markdown to quickly format Quip documents
- Collaborating with Quip
- Using the Quip desktop app and mobile app
- Importing your files and connecting to cloud services