Join Bill Weinman for an in-depth discussion in this video Sorting with ORDER BY, part of SQL Essential Training.
…If you've been following the lessons in sequence, you've seen me…use the order by clause to sort the results of queries.…Here's how it works.…We're going to use the world.db database for this lesson.…I'm just going to start by selecting name from the country table.…And there's our 239 rows.…And you'll notice that they're not in any particular order.…They look like they're kind of alphabetical but you have these anomalies,…and it may even be in a different order on your computer.…It's not in any order.…
It's just in the order that the database engine took it out of the table.…So if I want it in order of country, I can simply say order by name.…Cause the column is actually called name.…So I can say order by name like that and now they're sorted.…Now we have all the As and all the Bs and it looks all very nice and tidy.…If I want them in descending order by…name, I simply put the DESC modifier in the…order by clause, after the word name like that,…and now the order by name in descending orders.…
So now we have the Zs first and then the Ys and the Ws.…
- Understanding SQL terminology and syntax
- Creating new tables and records
- Inserting and updating data
- Writing basic SQL queries
- Sorting and filtering
- Accessing related tables with JOIN
- Working with strings
- Finding the numeric type of a value
- Using aggregate functions and transactions
- Updating a table with triggers
- Creating views
Skill Level Beginner
Q: For Mac OS X: When I try to start the Apache Web Server from the XAMPP control panel, it doesn't start, and when I open "localhost" in my web browser, I see a white screen that says "It Works!" instead of the XAMPP page.
sudo apachectl stop
Q: I'm on a Mac, and I get an error in SID that says "attempt to write a read only database." How can I fix this?
A: This usually means that the database folder does not have sufficient permissions for writing by the web user. This can happen if you create the SQL folder new, rather than copying it from the Exercise Files. Here's how to fix this:
- Open a Finder window and Navigate to /Applications/XAMPP/htdocs/SQL
- Control-click on the SQL folder and select "Get Info" from the context menu.
- Under "Sharing and Permissions" (you may need to open the disclosure triangle), in the "everyone" row, select "Read & Write."Then you can close the Info window.
- Now repeat the process for the three *.db files inside the folder.
1. SQL Quick Start
Understanding joins2m 23s
Dates and times1m 59s
10. Subselects and Views
11. A Simple CRUD Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.