Join Bill Weinman for an in-depth discussion in this video Selecting rows, part of SQL Essential Training.
…A given table may have a lot of rows and…often you will be interested in only some of them.…So here's some quick tips on how to select just the rows you're interested in.…Keep in mind I'll go over this in a lot more detail later in the course.…So here I have SID open in my browser, and I'm going to select the world.db database.…And we'll start by just selecting a bunch of rows from the country tables.…Select and I just want the name and continent columns, and…region, and we'll get it from, the country tables.…
It's just like that select Name, Continent, Region…from Country and I'll press the Go button.…And we got 239 rows and they look like this.…We have name continent and region.…And so that's a lot of rows.…Maybe we don't want all of those rows.…Maybe we just want the ones that are in Europe.…So I can add a where clause and say where continent…equals Europe, like that, and put the Europe in single…quote marks, which are the quote marks used in SQL.…
And when I press go, now we just get 46 rows and…there's the 46 rows, and those are all the countries in Europe.…
- Understanding SQL terminology and syntax
- Creating new tables and records
- Inserting and updating data
- Writing basic SQL queries
- Sorting and filtering
- Accessing related tables with JOIN
- Working with strings
- Finding the numeric type of a value
- Using aggregate functions and transactions
- Updating a table with triggers
- Creating views
Skill Level Beginner
Q: For Mac OS X: When I try to start the Apache Web Server from the XAMPP control panel, it doesn't start, and when I open "localhost" in my web browser, I see a white screen that says "It Works!" instead of the XAMPP page.
sudo apachectl stop
Q: I'm on a Mac, and I get an error in SID that says "attempt to write a read only database." How can I fix this?
A: This usually means that the database folder does not have sufficient permissions for writing by the web user. This can happen if you create the SQL folder new, rather than copying it from the Exercise Files. Here's how to fix this:
- Open a Finder window and Navigate to /Applications/XAMPP/htdocs/SQL
- Control-click on the SQL folder and select "Get Info" from the context menu.
- Under "Sharing and Permissions" (you may need to open the disclosure triangle), in the "everyone" row, select "Read & Write."Then you can close the Info window.
- Now repeat the process for the three *.db files inside the folder.
1. SQL Quick Start
Understanding joins2m 23s
Dates and times1m 59s
10. Subselects and Views
11. A Simple CRUD Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.