Join Bill Weinman for an in-depth discussion in this video Selecting part of a string, part of SQL Essential Training.
…The SQL standard does not include a substring function,…but all the major database engines have something like this.…The name of the function may be different, and there…may be other differences, but this is generally how it works.…We're going to use the album.db database for this lesson.…A sub-string function allows you to select part of a string…based on the position of the characters in the string like this.…In SQLite, it's named SUBSTR.…So this query will retrieve the characters from the string,…this string, starting with the sixth position to the end.…
And the sixth position starts the word string with the s.…So when I press go, we get a result that has the.…Characters of the string with the word string.…The second argument to the substrate function…is the starting position for the sub-string.…The word string starts at the sixth position.…So using the number six this returns the word string.…This function can be particular useful in…parsing out packed data from a text column.…So let's start by looking at the album table.…
- Understanding SQL terminology and syntax
- Creating new tables and records
- Inserting and updating data
- Writing basic SQL queries
- Sorting and filtering
- Accessing related tables with JOIN
- Working with strings
- Finding the numeric type of a value
- Using aggregate functions and transactions
- Updating a table with triggers
- Creating views
Skill Level Beginner
Q: For Mac OS X: When I try to start the Apache Web Server from the XAMPP control panel, it doesn't start, and when I open "localhost" in my web browser, I see a white screen that says "It Works!" instead of the XAMPP page.
sudo apachectl stop
Q: I'm on a Mac, and I get an error in SID that says "attempt to write a read only database." How can I fix this?
A: This usually means that the database folder does not have sufficient permissions for writing by the web user. This can happen if you create the SQL folder new, rather than copying it from the Exercise Files. Here's how to fix this:
- Open a Finder window and Navigate to /Applications/XAMPP/htdocs/SQL
- Control-click on the SQL folder and select "Get Info" from the context menu.
- Under "Sharing and Permissions" (you may need to open the disclosure triangle), in the "everyone" row, select "Read & Write."Then you can close the Info window.
- Now repeat the process for the three *.db files inside the folder.
1. SQL Quick Start
Understanding joins2m 23s
Dates and times1m 59s
10. Subselects and Views
11. A Simple CRUD Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.