Join Bill Weinman for an in-depth discussion in this video SQL syntax overview, part of SQL Essential Training.
…SQL is a standard language for describing relational databases and queries.…Standard SQL was originally formalized by…the American National Standards Institute in 1986.…This standard version was commonly referred to as SQL 86 or SQL 87.…It was revised in 1989 and again in 1992.…SQL 92 was formally adopted by the…International Organization for Standards as ISO 9075.…
The ISO has since updated the standard several…times, and the current version is SQL 2011.…The history of databases is long and complex.…All of the major SQL systems predate the standard's…process, sometimes even having inherited code from one another.…Having such long and storied legacies, they…also must continue to support old and cumbersome…code bases for their customers, some of…whom are running code that predates the standards.…Most of the major database systems,…including MySQL, Microsoft SQL server, PostgreSQL, and…Oracle support the standard to different degrees,…and none of them support it completely.…
What does this mean to you?…Just know that whatever SQL you write will…
- Understanding SQL terminology and syntax
- Creating new tables and records
- Inserting and updating data
- Writing basic SQL queries
- Sorting and filtering
- Accessing related tables with JOIN
- Working with strings
- Finding the numeric type of a value
- Using aggregate functions and transactions
- Updating a table with triggers
- Creating views
Skill Level Beginner
Q: For Mac OS X: When I try to start the Apache Web Server from the XAMPP control panel, it doesn't start, and when I open "localhost" in my web browser, I see a white screen that says "It Works!" instead of the XAMPP page.
sudo apachectl stop
Q: I'm on a Mac, and I get an error in SID that says "attempt to write a read only database." How can I fix this?
A: This usually means that the database folder does not have sufficient permissions for writing by the web user. This can happen if you create the SQL folder new, rather than copying it from the Exercise Files. Here's how to fix this:
- Open a Finder window and Navigate to /Applications/XAMPP/htdocs/SQL
- Control-click on the SQL folder and select "Get Info" from the context menu.
- Under "Sharing and Permissions" (you may need to open the disclosure triangle), in the "everyone" row, select "Read & Write."Then you can close the Info window.
- Now repeat the process for the three *.db files inside the folder.
1. SQL Quick Start
Understanding joins2m 23s
Dates and times1m 59s
10. Subselects and Views
11. A Simple CRUD Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.