Learn how the SELECT statement returns the results of a database query in SQL and is used for all queries in standard SQL.
- [Instructor] The select statement returns results…or a set of results from a query.…Let's start by selecting the World database.…We'll be using that a little later in this lesson…and I'm gonna type a very simple select statement.…Select statements are at the very core of SQL,…so it's essential that you understand…how it's put together.…This is how you retrieve data from an SQL database…using the select statement.…So, I'm gonna type select,…I tend to write keywords in all caps,…you don't have to.…I think it's a good idea…and so, I always do that.…
And I'll put in single quotes the words hello, world…and a semicolon to terminate the statement…and so, when I press Go, you see we get one row returned,…and that row has the string hello, world in it…and the identifier for the row here…is hello, world in quotes as we have here…because the source of the data here…is the literal string.…So, let's look at the parts of the statement.…First the select keyword…identifies this as a select statement.…
Select, like I said, it doesn't need to be capitalized,.…
- Understanding SQL terminology and syntax
- Creating new tables
- Inserting and updating data
- Writing basic SQL queries
- Sorting and filtering
- Accessing related tables with JOIN
- Working with strings
- Understanding numeric types
- Using aggregate functions and transactions
- Automating data with triggers
- Creating views
- Defining functions in PHP
Skill Level Beginner
2. SQL Overview
3. Fundamental Concepts
7. Dates and Times
Dates and times1m 52s
11. Views and Subselects
12. Defined Functions
13. A Simple CRUD Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.