The SELECT statement returns the results of a database query in SQL. It is used for all queries in standard SQL.
- [Instructor] The select statement returns results … or a set of results from a query. … For this lesson, we're going to choose the world database. … And I'm going to type in a simple query here, … I'll say select hello world. … And hello world is in single quotes … followed by a semicolon. … The select statement is at the very core of SQL. … It's essentially how you retrieve data … from SQL database. … In this case, my data source is a literal string. … So I'm going to go ahead and execute this query. … And you can execute a query here in SQLiteStudio by either … pressing on the little play button there … or as I'm going to do it, just press F9. … And you see the results of my query there in the … grid view below. … See the string hello world and the title of the column … is hello world in single quotes. … Which means that this select query … used a literal string as its data source. … So let's take a look at the parts of the query. … First we have the keyword select. … And you notice I've typed it in all capital letters. …
This course was created by Bill Weinman. We are pleased to offer this training in our library.
- How databases are organized
- Selecting rows and columns
- Creating new tables
- Inserting and updating data
- Sorting and filtering
- Accessing related tables with JOIN
- Working with strings
- Understanding numeric types
- Using aggregate functions and transactions
- Automating data with triggers
- Creating views
- Using CRUD functions
Skill Level Beginner
2. SQL Overview
3. Fundamental Concepts
7. Dates and Times
Dates and times2m 6s
11. Views and Subselects
12. A Simple CRUD Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.