Join Bill Weinman for an in-depth discussion in this video The SELECT functions, part of SQL Essential Training.
…In this lesson, I'm going to show you the select queries in the CRUD application.…Here, you'll see how I navigate the differences between the database engines.…Here I have the CRUD PHP application up in my text editor…and you'll find this in the exercise files in the CRUD folder.…And, I'm going to use this navigation here in TextWrangler to…jump to the different functions that I want to show you.…And looks like I pressed it before I meant to.…Let's start here with the get albums SQL.…
And this one is pretty straight forward, because it's just a simple select…and there's no difference between the…different database engines in how that's handled.…Because of PHP's PDO driver, I'm able to use exactly…the same syntax within the code for the various database engines.…So that makes this pretty easy and pretty simple.…Down here in the get tracks SQL, the SQL that we need…to use for the different database engines is actually a bit different,…so you'll notice that I have a case statement, and I'm selecting…on the database engine that's initialized at the top of the file.…
- Understanding SQL terminology and syntax
- Creating new tables and records
- Inserting and updating data
- Writing basic SQL queries
- Sorting and filtering
- Accessing related tables with JOIN
- Working with strings
- Finding the numeric type of a value
- Using aggregate functions and transactions
- Updating a table with triggers
- Creating views
Skill Level Beginner
Q: For Mac OS X: When I try to start the Apache Web Server from the XAMPP control panel, it doesn't start, and when I open "localhost" in my web browser, I see a white screen that says "It Works!" instead of the XAMPP page.
sudo apachectl stop
Q: I'm on a Mac, and I get an error in SID that says "attempt to write a read only database." How can I fix this?
A: This usually means that the database folder does not have sufficient permissions for writing by the web user. This can happen if you create the SQL folder new, rather than copying it from the Exercise Files. Here's how to fix this:
- Open a Finder window and Navigate to /Applications/XAMPP/htdocs/SQL
- Control-click on the SQL folder and select "Get Info" from the context menu.
- Under "Sharing and Permissions" (you may need to open the disclosure triangle), in the "everyone" row, select "Read & Write."Then you can close the Info window.
- Now repeat the process for the three *.db files inside the folder.
1. SQL Quick Start
Understanding joins2m 23s
Dates and times1m 59s
10. Subselects and Views
11. A Simple CRUD Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.