Join Bill Weinman for an in-depth discussion in this video Rounding numbers, part of SQL Essential Training.
…The round function is used to round a…numeric value to the specified number of decimals.…For this example we're going to use the n memory database,…and we'll be using this value, which is useful for this purpose.…And you see that it's a real number, and it…has five digits to the right of the decimal place.…Now if I round this using the round function,…you notice that it's just 3.0, it effectively has…no digits to the right of the decimal point.…
So the round function by default, rounds to…zero decimal places but still returns a real value.…If I use the second operand, the second…parameter to the function, and put a three there.…Now it'll round it to three digits.…Because that fourth digit is a five, it rounds up…the third digit to a six, as we would expect.…Now, the default for the number of digits is zero.…So, this gives us that same result we got without having the second argument.…
It's as simple as that.…The round function is supported by all the major…database systems, although the name and syntax may differ.…
- Understanding SQL terminology and syntax
- Creating new tables and records
- Inserting and updating data
- Writing basic SQL queries
- Sorting and filtering
- Accessing related tables with JOIN
- Working with strings
- Finding the numeric type of a value
- Using aggregate functions and transactions
- Updating a table with triggers
- Creating views
Skill Level Beginner
Q: For Mac OS X: When I try to start the Apache Web Server from the XAMPP control panel, it doesn't start, and when I open "localhost" in my web browser, I see a white screen that says "It Works!" instead of the XAMPP page.
sudo apachectl stop
Q: I'm on a Mac, and I get an error in SID that says "attempt to write a read only database." How can I fix this?
A: This usually means that the database folder does not have sufficient permissions for writing by the web user. This can happen if you create the SQL folder new, rather than copying it from the Exercise Files. Here's how to fix this:
- Open a Finder window and Navigate to /Applications/XAMPP/htdocs/SQL
- Control-click on the SQL folder and select "Get Info" from the context menu.
- Under "Sharing and Permissions" (you may need to open the disclosure triangle), in the "everyone" row, select "Read & Write."Then you can close the Info window.
- Now repeat the process for the three *.db files inside the folder.
1. SQL Quick Start
Understanding joins2m 23s
Dates and times1m 59s
10. Subselects and Views
11. A Simple CRUD Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.