Join Bill Weinman for an in-depth discussion in this video Removing spaces with TRIM, part of SQL Essential Training.
…Sometimes, especially when you're dealing with input from users.…You need to remove spaces or other…characters from the beginnings and endings of strings.…This is what the trim function does.…For this lesson we're going to use the in memory data base.…And I'm going to start by creating a literal string.…We'll just say select.…Three spaces the word string, three spaces and closing single quote.…And a semicolon.…Now, when I press go, you'll see that the…string, it doesn't look like it's got spaces around it.…
And even in the column heading, it looks like there's just one space.…And that's just a quirk of html.…Because we're using a web browser as our interface, the webpage that…we're looking at for our results is following the rules of HTML.…And the rules of HTML collapses strings in a lot of circumstances.…So if I use the view source function of my browser here,…and we scroll down to where this is you can see the spaces.…Because we're looking at the source, and not the result of the webpage.…And you can see the spaces there in the string.…
- Understanding SQL terminology and syntax
- Creating new tables and records
- Inserting and updating data
- Writing basic SQL queries
- Sorting and filtering
- Accessing related tables with JOIN
- Working with strings
- Finding the numeric type of a value
- Using aggregate functions and transactions
- Updating a table with triggers
- Creating views
Skill Level Beginner
Q: For Mac OS X: When I try to start the Apache Web Server from the XAMPP control panel, it doesn't start, and when I open "localhost" in my web browser, I see a white screen that says "It Works!" instead of the XAMPP page.
sudo apachectl stop
Q: I'm on a Mac, and I get an error in SID that says "attempt to write a read only database." How can I fix this?
A: This usually means that the database folder does not have sufficient permissions for writing by the web user. This can happen if you create the SQL folder new, rather than copying it from the Exercise Files. Here's how to fix this:
- Open a Finder window and Navigate to /Applications/XAMPP/htdocs/SQL
- Control-click on the SQL folder and select "Get Info" from the context menu.
- Under "Sharing and Permissions" (you may need to open the disclosure triangle), in the "everyone" row, select "Read & Write."Then you can close the Info window.
- Now repeat the process for the three *.db files inside the folder.
1. SQL Quick Start
Understanding joins2m 23s
Dates and times1m 59s
10. Subselects and Views
11. A Simple CRUD Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.