Join Bill Weinman for an in-depth discussion in this video Removing duplicates with SELECT DISTINCT, part of SQL Essential Training.
…There are times when you may want to know all…the different values of a column in your result without duplication.…For this purpose, SQL provides the select distinct statement.…We're going to start with the world.db database for this lesson.…We're going to change databases Part way through the lesson so…we'll start with the country table and I'm just going to…list all of the continents from the country table like…this: select, continent from country, and I'll press the Go button.…
And you see, there's a list of all of the continent…values in the table, all the values in the continent column.…You notice that we get 239 rows, and there's a…lot of duplication here, Asia, Europe, North America, there's another Europe.…There's another Africa, another North America.…And so we have all of these results, but we…just really want to know how many different continents are represented here.…So the way that you do this is with the select distinct statement.…So, where we have select here, we're just going to add the word distinct.…
- Understanding SQL terminology and syntax
- Creating new tables and records
- Inserting and updating data
- Writing basic SQL queries
- Sorting and filtering
- Accessing related tables with JOIN
- Working with strings
- Finding the numeric type of a value
- Using aggregate functions and transactions
- Updating a table with triggers
- Creating views
Skill Level Beginner
Q: For Mac OS X: When I try to start the Apache Web Server from the XAMPP control panel, it doesn't start, and when I open "localhost" in my web browser, I see a white screen that says "It Works!" instead of the XAMPP page.
sudo apachectl stop
Q: I'm on a Mac, and I get an error in SID that says "attempt to write a read only database." How can I fix this?
A: This usually means that the database folder does not have sufficient permissions for writing by the web user. This can happen if you create the SQL folder new, rather than copying it from the Exercise Files. Here's how to fix this:
- Open a Finder window and Navigate to /Applications/XAMPP/htdocs/SQL
- Control-click on the SQL folder and select "Get Info" from the context menu.
- Under "Sharing and Permissions" (you may need to open the disclosure triangle), in the "everyone" row, select "Read & Write."Then you can close the Info window.
- Now repeat the process for the three *.db files inside the folder.
1. SQL Quick Start
Understanding joins2m 23s
Dates and times1m 59s
10. Subselects and Views
11. A Simple CRUD Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.