Join Bill Weinman for an in-depth discussion in this video Integer division and remainders, part of SQL Essential Training.
…When performing division operations on integer values, the results will always…be integers and the results may not always be what you expect.…We're going to be using the in-memory database for this lesson and…we're going to start by dividing 1 divided by 2 like that.…And I'll go ahead and press Go, and you see the result is 0.…We all know 1 divide by 2 is 0.5 or 1 / 2.…And so, this is not really the result that we would expect.…The result is like this because these are both integers and so the result…is an integer, there's no way to represent 1 / 2 with an integer.…
One way to deal with this is to type one of the…literal values as a real number by adding a 0.0 at the end.…So, I'll simply say 1.0 divided by 2, and now the…result is 0.5, but our result is also a real number.…You can also use the cast operator or the cast function.…It's actually an operator that looks like a function, but that's another story.…So we can cast the 1 as a real number like this.…
Actually, that's not correct.…It's like this, CAST (ONE AS REAL), and press Go.…
- Understanding SQL terminology and syntax
- Creating new tables and records
- Inserting and updating data
- Writing basic SQL queries
- Sorting and filtering
- Accessing related tables with JOIN
- Working with strings
- Finding the numeric type of a value
- Using aggregate functions and transactions
- Updating a table with triggers
- Creating views
Skill Level Beginner
Q: For Mac OS X: When I try to start the Apache Web Server from the XAMPP control panel, it doesn't start, and when I open "localhost" in my web browser, I see a white screen that says "It Works!" instead of the XAMPP page.
sudo apachectl stop
Q: I'm on a Mac, and I get an error in SID that says "attempt to write a read only database." How can I fix this?
A: This usually means that the database folder does not have sufficient permissions for writing by the web user. This can happen if you create the SQL folder new, rather than copying it from the Exercise Files. Here's how to fix this:
- Open a Finder window and Navigate to /Applications/XAMPP/htdocs/SQL
- Control-click on the SQL folder and select "Get Info" from the context menu.
- Under "Sharing and Permissions" (you may need to open the disclosure triangle), in the "everyone" row, select "Read & Write."Then you can close the Info window.
- Now repeat the process for the three *.db files inside the folder.
1. SQL Quick Start
Understanding joins2m 23s
Dates and times1m 59s
10. Subselects and Views
11. A Simple CRUD Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.