Join Bill Weinman for an in-depth discussion in this video Installing the test environment on a Mac, part of SQL Essential Training.
…In this movie I'll show you how to install a…test environment to follow along with the exercises on a Mac.…In order to follow along with the exercises,…there are a few things that you need.…You need a web browser, any modern web browser will do.…I'm using Google Chrome, but that's just my preference.…If you like Firefox or Safari, that'll work just fine.…You just need a modern up-to-date browser.…You need a web server with PHP and a database engine.…In this movie I'll show you how to install XAMPP, that XAMPP.…
XAMPP is a package of things that includes the Apache web…server, PHP, and SQL wide among a lot of other things.…This is the environment I'll be demonstrating with…so unless you know how to install and configure…all these things yourself, it may be best…that you install XAMPP and follow along with me.…If you have your own installation of PHP and a database engine…and you know how to install scripts and configure them, that'll work too.…Otherwise, follow along and install XAMPP with me.…Also, keep in mind that every database system has its own dialective…
- Understanding SQL terminology and syntax
- Creating new tables and records
- Inserting and updating data
- Writing basic SQL queries
- Sorting and filtering
- Accessing related tables with JOIN
- Working with strings
- Finding the numeric type of a value
- Using aggregate functions and transactions
- Updating a table with triggers
- Creating views
Skill Level Beginner
Q: For Mac OS X: When I try to start the Apache Web Server from the XAMPP control panel, it doesn't start, and when I open "localhost" in my web browser, I see a white screen that says "It Works!" instead of the XAMPP page.
sudo apachectl stop
Q: I'm on a Mac, and I get an error in SID that says "attempt to write a read only database." How can I fix this?
A: This usually means that the database folder does not have sufficient permissions for writing by the web user. This can happen if you create the SQL folder new, rather than copying it from the Exercise Files. Here's how to fix this:
- Open a Finder window and Navigate to /Applications/XAMPP/htdocs/SQL
- Control-click on the SQL folder and select "Get Info" from the context menu.
- Under "Sharing and Permissions" (you may need to open the disclosure triangle), in the "everyone" row, select "Read & Write."Then you can close the Info window.
- Now repeat the process for the three *.db files inside the folder.
1. SQL Quick Start
Understanding joins2m 23s
Dates and times1m 59s
10. Subselects and Views
11. A Simple CRUD Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.