To follow along with the exercises in this course, you need to install some software on your computer. These instructions cover installation on a Mac.
- [Instructor] In this lesson, … I'll show you how to install a test environment … to follow along with the exercises on a Mac. … In order to follow along with the exercises … there's a few things you'll need. … You'll need a compatible database system. … I'm using SQLite. … SQLite is a simple compact standards-compatible … database management system, … that's easy to install and cross-platform compatible. … The SQLiteStudio package includes the database system … along with a management system, … and we'll install this later in this lesson. … You'll also need a plain text editor. … A plain text editor is different than a word processor. … A word processor is designed for writing documents … and includes a lot of formatting information … along with the text. … The formatting information will actually interfere … with SQL code in this example files, … so a word processor will not work for this purpose. … Unfortunately the TextEdit program … that ships with macOS doesn't work well … for this purpose either and so for the Mac I suggest BBEdit. …
This course was created by Bill Weinman. We are pleased to offer this training in our library.
- How databases are organized
- Selecting rows and columns
- Creating new tables
- Inserting and updating data
- Sorting and filtering
- Accessing related tables with JOIN
- Working with strings
- Understanding numeric types
- Using aggregate functions and transactions
- Automating data with triggers
- Creating views
- Using CRUD functions
Skill Level Beginner
2. SQL Overview
3. Fundamental Concepts
7. Dates and Times
Dates and times2m 6s
11. Views and Subselects
12. A Simple CRUD Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.