Join Bill Weinman for an in-depth discussion in this video Inserting data, part of SQL Essential Training.
…The database isn't just about queries.…Reading data from the database is only one facet of database management.…The four basic functions of any complete…database system are: create, retrieve, update and delete.…CRUD, often pronounced CRUD.…In this lesson, I'll show you how to create…new rows in a table using the insert statement.…We're going to be using the test.db database…here so I'll select that here in SID.…And, we're going to use the customer table, so…let's just take a look at that real quick.…
And there's our customer table.…It only has three rows in it and you see…it has these columns, id, name, address, city, state, and zip.…So, if we want to insert something into this table, I'm going to add…this above the select statement so we can see our result right after we insert.…So, I'm going to say, insert into customer.…And then, in parenthesis, I'm going to put the…names of the columns that I'm going to be inserting.…Name, address, city, state, and zip.…
And I'll give it some values.…You can give it whatever values you like, I'm just typing these.…
- Understanding SQL terminology and syntax
- Creating new tables and records
- Inserting and updating data
- Writing basic SQL queries
- Sorting and filtering
- Accessing related tables with JOIN
- Working with strings
- Finding the numeric type of a value
- Using aggregate functions and transactions
- Updating a table with triggers
- Creating views
Skill Level Beginner
Q: For Mac OS X: When I try to start the Apache Web Server from the XAMPP control panel, it doesn't start, and when I open "localhost" in my web browser, I see a white screen that says "It Works!" instead of the XAMPP page.
sudo apachectl stop
Q: I'm on a Mac, and I get an error in SID that says "attempt to write a read only database." How can I fix this?
A: This usually means that the database folder does not have sufficient permissions for writing by the web user. This can happen if you create the SQL folder new, rather than copying it from the Exercise Files. Here's how to fix this:
- Open a Finder window and Navigate to /Applications/XAMPP/htdocs/SQL
- Control-click on the SQL folder and select "Get Info" from the context menu.
- Under "Sharing and Permissions" (you may need to open the disclosure triangle), in the "everyone" row, select "Read & Write."Then you can close the Info window.
- Now repeat the process for the three *.db files inside the folder.
1. SQL Quick Start
Understanding joins2m 23s
Dates and times1m 59s
10. Subselects and Views
11. A Simple CRUD Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.