Join Bill Weinman for an in-depth discussion in this video Filtering data with WHERE, LIKE, and IN, part of SQL Essential Training.
Most of the time when you're getting data from a table.…You're looking for specific data.…Data that fits a specific criteria.…The where clause gives you just the tools you need.…To get just the rows you're looking for instead of the entire table.…For this lesson we're going to use the world dot db database.…And we're going to use the country table, which looks like this.…And you can see it's a pretty big table.…It has a lot of rows and columns.…It says here we got 239 rows from that query.…Now if you just want to know which countries have a population.…
Under 100,000, it's easy to construct a query like this.…I would say, select, and I'll just pick a few of the columns here.…Say, name, continent, and population.…And I'm going to add a where clause before…the semicolon here, where population is less than 100000.…And I'm going to give it a sort order over here.…Order by population descending.…
I'll show you more about the order clause later.…And we'll go ahead and run this query.…And you see there's the results of our query, now…
- Understanding SQL terminology and syntax
- Creating new tables and records
- Inserting and updating data
- Writing basic SQL queries
- Sorting and filtering
- Accessing related tables with JOIN
- Working with strings
- Finding the numeric type of a value
- Using aggregate functions and transactions
- Updating a table with triggers
- Creating views
Skill Level Beginner
Q: For Mac OS X: When I try to start the Apache Web Server from the XAMPP control panel, it doesn't start, and when I open "localhost" in my web browser, I see a white screen that says "It Works!" instead of the XAMPP page.
sudo apachectl stop
Q: I'm on a Mac, and I get an error in SID that says "attempt to write a read only database." How can I fix this?
A: This usually means that the database folder does not have sufficient permissions for writing by the web user. This can happen if you create the SQL folder new, rather than copying it from the Exercise Files. Here's how to fix this:
- Open a Finder window and Navigate to /Applications/XAMPP/htdocs/SQL
- Control-click on the SQL folder and select "Get Info" from the context menu.
- Under "Sharing and Permissions" (you may need to open the disclosure triangle), in the "everyone" row, select "Read & Write."Then you can close the Info window.
- Now repeat the process for the three *.db files inside the folder.
1. SQL Quick Start
Understanding joins2m 23s
Dates and times1m 59s
10. Subselects and Views
11. A Simple CRUD Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.