Join Bill Weinman for an in-depth discussion in this video Deleting data, part of SQL Essential Training.
…The delete statement is used to remove rows from a table.…In this lesson, I'm starting with the test…database, as modified in the previous couple of lessons.…So, I'm going to select the test database here.…And we'll start by looking at the state…of the customer table with select asterisk from customer.…Press the Go button and you see we have the…original three rows and a couple of rows that we've added.…So let's start by deleting the row with the id number four.…
When you're typing in a delete statement, it's often a…good idea to start with the select statement to make…sure that your where clause is exactly right and you're…just selecting the rows that you actually want to delete.…So, I'm just going to come in here and I'm going to type, where id equals 4, and I'll…press the Go button, so you see I've selected…just that one row that I actually want to delete.…So, I'm going to leave my select statement, I'm…actually going to copy and paste it up here,…and I'm going to take out the select…and the asterisk, going to replace it just with delete.…
- Understanding SQL terminology and syntax
- Creating new tables and records
- Inserting and updating data
- Writing basic SQL queries
- Sorting and filtering
- Accessing related tables with JOIN
- Working with strings
- Finding the numeric type of a value
- Using aggregate functions and transactions
- Updating a table with triggers
- Creating views
Skill Level Beginner
Q: For Mac OS X: When I try to start the Apache Web Server from the XAMPP control panel, it doesn't start, and when I open "localhost" in my web browser, I see a white screen that says "It Works!" instead of the XAMPP page.
sudo apachectl stop
Q: I'm on a Mac, and I get an error in SID that says "attempt to write a read only database." How can I fix this?
A: This usually means that the database folder does not have sufficient permissions for writing by the web user. This can happen if you create the SQL folder new, rather than copying it from the Exercise Files. Here's how to fix this:
- Open a Finder window and Navigate to /Applications/XAMPP/htdocs/SQL
- Control-click on the SQL folder and select "Get Info" from the context menu.
- Under "Sharing and Permissions" (you may need to open the disclosure triangle), in the "everyone" row, select "Read & Write."Then you can close the Info window.
- Now repeat the process for the three *.db files inside the folder.
1. SQL Quick Start
Understanding joins2m 23s
Dates and times1m 59s
10. Subselects and Views
11. A Simple CRUD Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.