Join Bill Weinman for an in-depth discussion in this video Dates and times, part of SQL Essential Training.
…Dates and times have specific properties that…are important to understand in database systems.…They can be used for chronological and durational purposes, as…well as for internal purposes within a system or application.…Dates and times are typically represented in a standard format with the most…significant parts to the left and and the least significant parts to the right.…This format is sometimes referred to as SQL format.…It lends itself well to database sorting and searching operations.…Dates and times are usually represented internally as UTC.…
UTC is technically equivalent to the Greenwich Mean Time or UT1 timezone.…That is the current date and time,…at Greenwich, England, without adjusting for summertime.…UTC is sometimes associated with…Reykjavik, Iceland because Reykjavik is always…on UTC time and does not observe any seasonal time adjustments.…This standardization allows unambiguous, relative date and…time calculations across local and international boundaries.…UTC is easily converted to and from…
- Understanding SQL terminology and syntax
- Creating new tables and records
- Inserting and updating data
- Writing basic SQL queries
- Sorting and filtering
- Accessing related tables with JOIN
- Working with strings
- Finding the numeric type of a value
- Using aggregate functions and transactions
- Updating a table with triggers
- Creating views
Skill Level Beginner
Q: For Mac OS X: When I try to start the Apache Web Server from the XAMPP control panel, it doesn't start, and when I open "localhost" in my web browser, I see a white screen that says "It Works!" instead of the XAMPP page.
sudo apachectl stop
Q: I'm on a Mac, and I get an error in SID that says "attempt to write a read only database." How can I fix this?
A: This usually means that the database folder does not have sufficient permissions for writing by the web user. This can happen if you create the SQL folder new, rather than copying it from the Exercise Files. Here's how to fix this:
- Open a Finder window and Navigate to /Applications/XAMPP/htdocs/SQL
- Control-click on the SQL folder and select "Get Info" from the context menu.
- Under "Sharing and Permissions" (you may need to open the disclosure triangle), in the "everyone" row, select "Read & Write."Then you can close the Info window.
- Now repeat the process for the three *.db files inside the folder.
1. SQL Quick Start
Understanding joins2m 23s
Dates and times1m 59s
10. Subselects and Views
11. A Simple CRUD Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.