Join Bill Weinman for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a view, part of SQL Essential Training.
…In SQL you can save a query as a view.…This is really very simple.…For this lesson, we're going to be using the album.db database.…And I'm going to start with a simple query here.…This is all from the track table.…I'm taking the duration as minutes ans seconds…by performing integer division and a modulus operation.…And now when I press go, you see we have this…track table, but it has the durations split into minutes and seconds.…I think that's pretty useful, and I'm going to use it again.…So I want to make this into a stored view.…
And all that does is it stores this select statement…in the database so that it can be used again.…And I'll just indent the query a little…bit, and then I'll select it using the view.…Now if you remember, the result of a select statement, is effectively a table,…and so we've created a view which…is basically just storing this select statement.…And now that can be used anywhere you would use a table.…So there's our view.…And if I delete this and just do SELECT…FROM trackView, you see we have exactly the same result.…
- Understanding SQL terminology and syntax
- Creating new tables and records
- Inserting and updating data
- Writing basic SQL queries
- Sorting and filtering
- Accessing related tables with JOIN
- Working with strings
- Finding the numeric type of a value
- Using aggregate functions and transactions
- Updating a table with triggers
- Creating views
Skill Level Beginner
Q: For Mac OS X: When I try to start the Apache Web Server from the XAMPP control panel, it doesn't start, and when I open "localhost" in my web browser, I see a white screen that says "It Works!" instead of the XAMPP page.
sudo apachectl stop
Q: I'm on a Mac, and I get an error in SID that says "attempt to write a read only database." How can I fix this?
A: This usually means that the database folder does not have sufficient permissions for writing by the web user. This can happen if you create the SQL folder new, rather than copying it from the Exercise Files. Here's how to fix this:
- Open a Finder window and Navigate to /Applications/XAMPP/htdocs/SQL
- Control-click on the SQL folder and select "Get Info" from the context menu.
- Under "Sharing and Permissions" (you may need to open the disclosure triangle), in the "everyone" row, select "Read & Write."Then you can close the Info window.
- Now repeat the process for the three *.db files inside the folder.
1. SQL Quick Start
Understanding joins2m 23s
Dates and times1m 59s
10. Subselects and Views
11. A Simple CRUD Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.