Join Bill Weinman for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a joined view, part of SQL Essential Training.
…A view can be a simple straight query or it can be a more complex joined query.…The technique is the same.…For this movie, we'll be using the album.db database.…And we'll start with a query that shows all the…tracks for each album with the duration in minutes and seconds.…We're just going to grab that from the Exercise File for Chapter 10.…And we'll paste that into our SQL box here.…And there's the result of the query.…And the query itself.…We've seen this before, it's pretty straightforward JOIN on album ID.…
Now, I can save this as a view, and I do that just by saying CREATE VIEW…joinedAlbum AS.…Then, down here at the end, I'll just SELECT star FROM joinedAlbum semicolon.…And our result there is the same, except, now, it's…coming from Query 2, which is that SELECT star from joinedAlbum.…I can take out all of this.…And we get exactly the same result.…And in fact, I can use this just as I would any SELECT statement.…
I can put a WHERE clause in it.…And just get the Jimi Hendrix rows.…Or we can use it with a conditional…
- Understanding SQL terminology and syntax
- Creating new tables and records
- Inserting and updating data
- Writing basic SQL queries
- Sorting and filtering
- Accessing related tables with JOIN
- Working with strings
- Finding the numeric type of a value
- Using aggregate functions and transactions
- Updating a table with triggers
- Creating views
Skill Level Beginner
Q: For Mac OS X: When I try to start the Apache Web Server from the XAMPP control panel, it doesn't start, and when I open "localhost" in my web browser, I see a white screen that says "It Works!" instead of the XAMPP page.
sudo apachectl stop
Q: I'm on a Mac, and I get an error in SID that says "attempt to write a read only database." How can I fix this?
A: This usually means that the database folder does not have sufficient permissions for writing by the web user. This can happen if you create the SQL folder new, rather than copying it from the Exercise Files. Here's how to fix this:
- Open a Finder window and Navigate to /Applications/XAMPP/htdocs/SQL
- Control-click on the SQL folder and select "Get Info" from the context menu.
- Under "Sharing and Permissions" (you may need to open the disclosure triangle), in the "everyone" row, select "Read & Write."Then you can close the Info window.
- Now repeat the process for the three *.db files inside the folder.
1. SQL Quick Start
Understanding joins2m 23s
Dates and times1m 59s
10. Subselects and Views
11. A Simple CRUD Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.