Join Bill Weinman for an in-depth discussion in this video Accessing related tables with JOIN, part of SQL Essential Training.
…The ability to combine results from related rows and different…tables, is an important part of using a relational database system.…In SQL, this is accomplished with the join clause.…We'll start by looking at a very simple example.…For this example, I'm going to copy and paste from the exercise…file for Chapter 3, which I have opened here in my text editor.…So I'm going to select all these lines starting with the create table…statements for the left and right tables, and all these insert statements.…And I'm going to copy those using my keyboard, Cmd+c on Mac or Ctrl+cc on PC.…
And then switch back over into SID.…Select the test.db database and paste this into the SQL box here.…Pressing Cmd+v on my Mac keyboard or Ctrl+v on a PC.…And I'll press the Go button and, it says 20 queries performed,…18 rows affected, because we inserted 18 rows into these two tables.…And now I'll simply.…Select all of this with Cmd+a on my MAC keyboard or Ctrl+a on a PC.…
And I'll type in a couple of select statements.…Select * FROM left; and Select * FROM right;…
- Understanding SQL terminology and syntax
- Creating new tables and records
- Inserting and updating data
- Writing basic SQL queries
- Sorting and filtering
- Accessing related tables with JOIN
- Working with strings
- Finding the numeric type of a value
- Using aggregate functions and transactions
- Updating a table with triggers
- Creating views
Skill Level Beginner
Q: For Mac OS X: When I try to start the Apache Web Server from the XAMPP control panel, it doesn't start, and when I open "localhost" in my web browser, I see a white screen that says "It Works!" instead of the XAMPP page.
sudo apachectl stop
Q: I'm on a Mac, and I get an error in SID that says "attempt to write a read only database." How can I fix this?
A: This usually means that the database folder does not have sufficient permissions for writing by the web user. This can happen if you create the SQL folder new, rather than copying it from the Exercise Files. Here's how to fix this:
- Open a Finder window and Navigate to /Applications/XAMPP/htdocs/SQL
- Control-click on the SQL folder and select "Get Info" from the context menu.
- Under "Sharing and Permissions" (you may need to open the disclosure triangle), in the "everyone" row, select "Read & Write."Then you can close the Info window.
- Now repeat the process for the three *.db files inside the folder.
1. SQL Quick Start
Understanding joins2m 23s
Dates and times1m 59s
10. Subselects and Views
11. A Simple CRUD Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.